Pre-Lab Quiz: Spectroscopy Stumpers
Discuss each question with your team. Be prepared to explain the reasoning behind your team's answers after the quiz. For questions 1 and 4, more than one answer may apply.
- Which of the following is true about visible light?
- The entire electromagnetic spectrum is visible light
- Only a small part of the electromagnetic spectrum is visible
- Visible light has the shortest wavelengths in the electromagnetic spectrum
- Visible light has the longest wavelengths in the electromagnetic spectrum
- Fill in the blanks below using the following terms: absorption spectrum, continuous spectrum, and emission line spectrum
The spectrum of a blackbody, a heated gas cloud, and a blackbody viewed through a gas cloud are, respectively, examples of a/an _________, a/an _________, and a/an _________.
- While observing the night sky you notice four stars: One red, one white, one blue, and one yellow. Which of these stars is hottest and which is coolest?
- Which of the the following properties of an object can potentially be determined by observing light emitted from the object?
- Chemical composition
- Relative motion
- None of the above